Powered by Okqtb!

Origin check-up saved Gidley more pain

A shattered Kurt Gidley has revealed how close he came to playing for NSW despite a serious ankle injury.
Nanjing Night Net

The injury is expected to keep the NSW utility out for the rest of the series, with Gidley likely to miss at least six weeks of action. The news could have been far worse for the Newcastle captain, who had intended to play on Wednesday night despite some irritation in his ankle.

“I was confident going into the Origin camp that I’d be right to play,” Gidley said. “My head doesn’t feel great. My foot feels worse. It’s disappointing for this to happen at this time of year. I was looking forward to getting back into the Origin camp and that environment again. Unfortunately the risk involved playing on with it was too great. If I tore it completely it’s six- to 12-month recovery. It’s not worth it.”

The former NSW skipper damaged the ankle in the early moments of Newcastle’s round 10 clash against Canterbury. Scans did not reveal any long-term damage, so he took on the Warriors last week and had every intention to play his first game for NSW since 2011, after missing the last series with injury.

But more scans after his Origin call-up showed the extent of the problem.

”If we weren’t sent for more scans I would’ve played the Origin game,” Gidley said. ”It’s a bit of a ticking time bomb. All the reports from the doctors said it was OK to play on. If the Origin game wasn’t coming up I would’ve played the club game and we wouldn’t have done any more scans. It was lucky I was in Origin camp and the doctor said let’s go for another scan to make sure. It showed more damage. Lucky I got onto it when I did.”

 

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Confidence Northstars can conquer champs

CANADIAN import Jeff Martens believes the North Stars’ balance across the rink will give them the edge on Saturdayon defending champions Melbourne Ice.
Nanjing Night Net

The North Stars host the Victorians at Warners Bay at 5pm in a replay of last year’s Australian Ice Hockey League decider where Newcastle went down 4-3.

After eight games of the season the North Stars have shown no signs of a grand final hangover and are leading the competition with six wins, including a 2-0 victory over Melbourne two weeks ago.

However, the third-placed Ice are bristling with class.

Canadian forward Matt Armstrong is the AIHL’s leading point-scorer with 22 (eight goals, 14 assists) with fellow imports Joseph Gordon (21 points) and John Gordon (16) third and sixth respectively.

Martens is the leading North Stars point-scorer with 20 (10 goals, 10 assists) and along with import Pier-Olivier Cotnoir (five goals, 10 assists) is the only Newcastle player in the top 20.

Martens said that statistic is proof that the North Stars’ quality is not confined to only a handful of players.

‘‘I think we have a much more balanced team than others,’’ Martens said.

‘‘We have two or three lines that can play regular shifts every night, which helps because we’re fitter and fresher when we go out there.’’

There has been growing hype among North Stars officials that this year’s crop of imports are on par with the foursome of BJ Pelkey, Colin Nicholson, Gabriel Andre and Mickey Gilchrist, which helped win the club’s last Goodall Cup in 2008.

‘‘Whenever you play with new players it’s a struggle at first as you don’t know how the other guys play,’’ Martens said.

‘‘I think now … we’re playing better.’’

Northstars’ Pier-Oliver Cotnoir and Jeff Martens.

Cardiff urged to be more ruthless

CARDIFF coach Adam Dugan has warned his players that improved execution, not past glories, will rescue their floundering Black Diamond AFL season.
Nanjing Night Net

After six matches the one-time competition heavyweights are fifth, with only two wins.

Last week’s 32-point loss to Singleton at No. 1 Sportsground was a low point.

For the past five seasons the club have lost the grand final, but given current form a top-four berth is in jeopardy.

Today the Hawks face the cellar-dwelling Lake Macquarie at Tulkaba Park.

Dugan said his squad cannot expect to dominate like previous seasons.

“The past is not to be taken into account, it’s the future we make for ourselves now,” Dugan said. “We do have a fair few new players to the club, so they certainly can’t look back to the past and our older players probably shouldn’t be either.

“If they have an expectation they can get out of trouble late in games because of past history, well at the moment our execution isn’t allowing us to do that.

“We’re giving away leads and we can’t close the game out and it’s purely down to execution on the park.”

Dugan has drilled the basics into his squad, which is missing about a dozen first-graders with injury.

One player who is unexpectedly available today is Zac Metcalfe.

Last Saturday the halfback was stretchered off and taken to hospital via ambulance after complaining of pins and needles following a heavy bump to his neck. Scans during the week cleared Metcalfe of nerve damage.

In other matches today, competition leaders Newcastle City host Killarney Vale at No.1 Sportsground and Warners Bay face the toughest of road trips against Terrigal-Avoca at Hylton Moore Oval.

Cardiff’s Tim Sheldon in action last week, being tackled by Panthers Jayson van Dam. Picture Peter Stoop

Canterbury confirm Keneally was not linked

Former NSW premier Kristina Keneally never applied for nor received an approach from the Bulldogs about the club’s CEO job, as reported in the Herald on Friday.
Nanjing Night Net

Fairfax Media apologises to Keneally for any distress caused by linking her to the job and accepts that she is very happy in her role as chief executive of Basketball Australia.

It is understood that Keneally contacted Canterbury officials seeking an explanation about how her name became linked to the job.

The Bulldogs announced on Wednesday that Netball New Zealand chief executive Raelene Castle had been appointed to replace Todd Greenberg, who is leaving to take on the new role as NRL head of football.

Castle, who beat a high-quality field of applicants, will officially join the club on July 15.

Canterbury issued a statement on Friday night saying that Keneally, who is also a member of the Souths Cares board, had not applied for the job.

Meanwhile, the Bulldogs have received $4 million in federal government funding for the next stage of development at Belmore Sports Ground and surrounding areas.

The development includes the construction of an additional 1700 grandstand seats at the southern end of Belmore Sports Ground and the adjoining Peter Moore Fields.

There will also be a community activities centre at Belmore Sports Ground and a performing arts centre at Peter Moore Fields for use by all members of the community.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

POLL: Royal fan remembers 60 years ago

SOUVENIR: Fay Langwill, who was in London at the time of the Queen’s coronation in 1953, with a program of events from the day. Picture Simone De PeakFAY Langwill happily sat for hours in the rain waiting for a glimpse of the ‘‘beautiful young queen ’’on the day of Queen Elizabeth’s coronation.
Nanjing Night Net

The Merewether Heights grandmother, who is now 83, was just 23 years old at the time and was working as a nurse in London with a group of fellow Australians.

‘‘London was ablaze with flags and excitement,’’ Mrs Langwill said.

‘‘We were lucky to get a seat in Piccadilly. You had to be very lucky to get a seat along the route.’’

About 11am, the moment came.

A 27-year-old Queen made her way passed in an elaborate coach on her way to Westminster Abbey to be crowned.

‘‘People were singing all day long and we were just carried away with the euphoria when the coach came by at 11am,’’ Mrs Langwill said.

‘‘Everyone was cheering.’’

The Queen was crowned at Westminster Abbey in a solemn, ancient ceremony dating back more than 1000 years.

As the Queen celebrates the 60th anniversary of her coronation on Sunday , Mrs Langwill remains a dedicated royalist.

She was part of a guard of honour while working at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney when the Queen visited Australia in 1954 and has dozens of books about the royal family.

The royals will be out in force to mark the 60th anniversary of the Queen’s coronation with a traditional service at the abbey on June 4.

Alongside the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh will be the Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and more than 20 members of the royal family.

The Duke of Cambridge and a heavily pregnant Duchess of Cambridge will be among the 2000-strong congregation at Westminster Abbey in London on June 4.

LETTER: Butterworth was legend of surfing

I DIDN’T know Steve Butterworth very well, but reading about his passing (The Great White Tale theherald南京夜网.au, also Last wave in ‘cool life’ Herald 22/5) inspired me to write a few comments, just like it has to others.
Nanjing Night Net

When it comes to surfing, ever since my childhood days, I have always been a ‘‘Bay Boy’’ at heart and a part of the poem The Man From Box Beach.

I will always remember those late winter afternoons when I would sit on the sand dunes at Box Beach, somewhat jealous and in awe, watching this brilliant surfer getting some of the best barrels (getting tubed as we used to call it), that I have ever seen to this day.

Yes, Steve Butterworth was my childhood hero.

I am 54 now. Besides my love of the ocean and the waves, Steve’s ability has given me good reason and has inspired me to surf seriously nearly all my life.

The Great White Tale – what a beautiful story. It reminded so much of the things we used to do when we were growing up at Port Stephens.

I knew Sally Ridgeway and went to school with some of his family.

I offer my deepest sympathy to all Steve’s family and friends. Newcastle has not lost anyone, we just can’t see Steve face-to-face any more.

Newcastle will truly miss this absolute legend to the greatest sport of all: surfing.

Steve Corder,

Redhead

LETTER: Lack of accord pact is palpable 

THE lapsed accord signed between unions and government was a pillar of co-operation and bipartisanship in this country.
Nanjing Night Net

The accord provided security and certainty at a time when the economy was under pressure.

If Labor is serious about promoting progress through discussion and partnership, they will restart the accord.

With manufacturing and mining under increasing pressure, there could be no better time to enlist union support and involvement.

The benefits would flow to all Australians.

John Butler,

Windella Downs

LIVESTREAM: Kurri Kurri v Cessnock

Tune in as Kurri Kurri take on Cessnock on Saturday June 1, from 3pm.
Nanjing Night Net

Star Struck dreams taking shape with rehearsals

AIMING HIGH: Students prepare for the 21st Star Struck at Newcastle Entertainment Centre. Picture: Ryan Osland SOPHIE CURTIS
Nanjing Night Net

A NEW batch of talented high school and primary school students stepped on stage at Newcastle Entertainment Centre yesterday in preparation for this year’s Star Struck.

The event, which features more than 3500 students, has been used as a launch pad for the careers of Newcastle country star Catherine Britt and Australian musical theatre performer David Harris.

Sixteen-year-old songstress Sophie Curtis is determined to use this year’s 21st anniversary concert to start a singing career.

The year 11 student at the Hunter School of Performing Arts will perform four songs as a featured artist at the shows on June14 and 15.

While Sophie wasn’t even born when Star Struck began, she is well aware of the careers it has kick-started and wants to pursue a music career in America.

Director Karen Birrell said the 21st event was an important milestone for the 120 schools who take part.

‘‘There will be something for everyone, with music and dance styles from the 1990s to the present, with some massive props including a giant birthday cake,’’ Birrell said.

She said newspaper headlines from the past 21 years will also be featured.

“All the important moments of a young life will be brought alive in music, song, dance and drama,’’ she said.

LETTER: Firms fleeing Oz due to high costs

TAKING me to task on ‘‘basic economics’’ once more, Brian Crooks rejects my hypothesis that wage restraint encourages employment.
Nanjing Night Net

Again citing ‘‘Scandinavian countries’’ as examples of how high wages are a good thing, Mr Crooks should consider the relevant unemployment figures.

In ‘‘high wage’’ Sweden unemployment has jumped from 7.5per cent to 8.4per cent since 2011, while in the ‘‘low wage’’ US it declined from 7.8per cent to 7.6per cent over the same period.

Manufacturers such as Ford are fleeing our ‘‘Fair Work’’ shores due to unsustainable costs.

Yet GE is now bringing manufacturing back to the US from China, making dishwashers and water heaters domestically for the first time in decades.

Like trade unionists, Mr Crooks fails to grasp that there is only so much money in the pot.

You can have ridiculous wages and conditions, or you can have high employment – not both.

It’s basic economics.

Scott Hillard,

New Lambton